2014 is coming to an end and it is time to reflect on the year I’ve had and look forward to what is to come in 2015. I have already listed the 10 things I kicked ass at in 2014, so it comes the time to think about my mistakes and the things I could have done better in 2014. In addition to just listing the things I could have done better this year I am actually going to tell you how I plan on fixing them! So let’s get started!
1. Time Management – This is something I still struggle with. I like to procrastinate and it seems sometimes I never get things done that I need to. So how do I plan on fixing it? First each day I am going to make a real to-do list. I was using a few websites to do this, but I find that having a real to-do list works for me much better.
2. Was easily distracted – This has a lot to do with time management. I always hate getting distracted by Facebook, YouTube, an interesting article online, etc. I plan to remedy this by not having any of these sites of social media open when I am working. Get my work done, then I can check back up on these sites. Also if I stumble across and interesting article or something like that I am going to bookmark it and get back to it later once my work is done.
3. Did not put out my best work – This is something that I really regret doing in 2014. Many of the reviews I wrote in 2014 were rushed and were not my best work at all. I did not put my all into them and it shows in the writing. I have been working on this and I am only going to put out my best work from now on. I had been having trouble getting in the “writing” mood and have had writers block, but I have found some ways to get around that which I will cover in an upcoming blog post.
4. Exercise & Working Out – This yeah I was quite lazy when it came to working out and keeping in shape. This has obviously showed and I do not like it. I have slowly been going back to the gym and that is a start. I want to make it a point to make it to the gym at least 3 times a week, but I really want to get back to where I was going once a day in the morning before I start work. It has started, but I need to stick with it!
5. Not a lot of variety in my travel – As I said in my post about the things I kicked ass at this year I did travel a whole lot more. This is great, but there was not a whole lot of variety in my travel. Most of my trips were on the east coast and I went to the same places more than once. No tropical beaches, nothing overseas, etc. I definitely want to make my way overseas this year and experience other cultures.
6. Sort of became lazy with business – This year while business was good I sort of got lazy with it. I was making a comfortable living, but I did not strive for more. I should have been striving for more all year and I need to keep that mindset always. In 2015 I need to key my eye on the prize and keep building the business and working on it each day.
7. Did not blog as much as I would have liked – Over the past month I have blogged quite a lot, but over this past year I did not blog at all really. I think now I am in a real comfortable place where I enjoy blogging much more. Also setting up my weekly e-mail newsletter sort of makes me accountable for actually having at least one new blog post a week. Also I am now dedicating one night a week to come up with new blog ideas as brainstorming.
8. Drank way too much caffeine – This is actually pretty sad. There was a point in time this year where I HAD to get an AMP Energy drink every morning before I started work. Energy drinks like that are not that great for you. Over time this made me believe the only way I could be productive is if I went and got an AMP, it became a really bad habit. I hope to remedy this by drinking more tea and only drinking an energy drink or coffee once or twice a week if that.
9. Did not take a lot of time for myself – I have always enjoyed some alone time and time to clear my head. This year it seemed I really did not do this as much. I always loved going for a long walk around Schenley Park to clear my head and come up with ideas for my businesses. I plan on trying to do this (when weather permits) or some form of time by myself relaxing, brainstorming or clearing my head at least once a week.
10. Have not delegated as much as I should – As much as I love reviewing computer hardware I still want to be more of a manager of things at ThinkComputers. Since reviews are taking up a lot of my time I have less time to work on other areas of the site which have suffered this year. I have brought on one new reviewer in the past couple of months and I hope to bring more on after the craziness of CES.
So lets hope that in 2015 I work on these problems and have an even better year than 2014! Have a great day everyone!